Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A conditional nature lover...

Nina: "Daddy, you know what I really don't like. What bird I really really don't like?"

Daddy: "What?"

Nina: "Robin's!! I really really DON'T like robin's".

Although the statement is not a surprise coming from our little creature lover that she is, it was still surprising to hear her make such a strong statement on her own with such a declaration of distaste.

With that being said, she made these statements last weekend:


(it was a glorious weekend, first very warm beautiful days of the year, mid 80's what a treat!)


I was trying to get some yard clean-up done to be ahead of the game this spring. Cutting back grasses and weeding what I could.

I was transplanting a few plants on our "secret path" (a path we literally un-earthed a few years ago that leads down a level toward our creek. It looks like it was a beautiful poured stairs path)

I went to plant one of the transplantee's and thunk is what I heard when I dug into the soil. Moved a little and thunk again. What in the world? There is a layer of large rocks that border the secret path and the length of the dip from the top level to the bottom. The smallest rock was the size of your fist. I couldn't believe it. We sure do wish we could see a picture of this house in its hay day.

So. I called Nina and Harry over to help me dig for rocks. (They were all about 3 inches under the soil and plants) Harry was not that excited he more so took in the creatures in the creek including a male and female duck looking for a place to settle down.

Nina. Well, I don't think the invitation could have been any better. Dig? For rocks? And find worms?! She couldn't say yes fast or loud enough.

Off we went digging. She spotted her first couple worms. She chatted with them, told me all about them, introduced herself along with the rest of her family to them and then I heard the loudest, "AaWWeee!!! MAMA!! They're HUGGING!!".

I smiled both inside and out. Amazingly enough, they sure did look like they were hugging, if you can believe it!

Then a few minutes later I heard an even bigger squeal..."AaWWeee!!! They made a heart for me!!! They love me. Thank you for making a heart for me!!".


It's going to be a good Spring.

1 comment:

Nicole Wickstrom said...

I love Nina, but I squirmed thinking about her "friends". I pray that your goddaughter doesn't have the same love of worms....Miss you guys!