The past few weeks have been, well, busy.
There always seems to be a time in your life where you feel like you're just holding on with all your might, if you don't, you'll fall off the ride, and that just can't happen.
This has been one of those times.
A few weeks ago now, we headed north for a camping trip. The site's view was spectacular, right on lake michigan. Laying down for the night, I could see through the screen area on our tent, Lake Michigan (pictures to follow later). The facilities, thought, left quite a bit to be desired. They were historic (a plaque on the wall and all). On the first full day there they all broke. That night my & Nina's air mattress broke. With little sleep, and feeling less than clean, we started to pack up on Sunday, when word came that Andy's grandma had died. It was a long trip home to begin with, now it seemed forever.
Got home aired our stuff out, tried to figure out the logistics for the coming services south. Washed everything, packed again and headed to Peoria. It was a wonderful time visiting with family. Way too hot temps in the 100's, late nights (going to sleep on the latest night at 1:30am), not to mention the emotional ride.
Came home, spent.
Had another one of those crazy busy weeks.
Friday came. Had some family pictures early morning at the beach, a birthday party in the afternoon, then Aunt Georgie was in town from Lake Geneva for dinner and a visit.
Next morning, off to Green Bay for the weekend.
Had a fantastic visit with family, late nights once again, 3 weekends in a row. Sunday night got in just before midnight. Hurried the kids to bed because Monday morning we had to be at the hospital at 6:30am for Harry's surgery.
Goodness. Tired writing all of that out.
So. Harry's surgery went well. We had gone back and fourth about having it or not. It was rescheduled due to Grandmas funeral.
The doctor came out and told us it went very well, that his adenoids, in fact, were blocking his drainage. They were very large as well as his tonsils. A huge relief on our part. We went in assuming the adenoids were large, but because you cannot see them, it was a good guess, but still a guess that that was a reason behind him being so sick the past year.
We were prepared for him to be out of it coming out of surgery. The anesthesiologist informed us that 80% of kids coming off the medicine are agitated, don't recognize their family, and seem in a lot of pain, that this would last 2-3hours, until the medicine is out of their system.
Not a pleasant thought. Harry came in. He looked at Andy and me for a second, said he was in a lot of pain and fell asleep for a half an hour. During that time we were finding out what we needed to do to get him more pain meds.
He woke up and looked at us. I was looking at him wondering if he knew who we were. I said,
"Harry, you need to drink some juice or have a Popsicle in order to get rid of some pain. Which would you like?"
He just looked at me. So I thought, maybe he can't talk.
"Okay Harry, (as I put up my fingers), 1 if you want juice, 2 if you want a Popsicle. Which would you like?"
He looked at me. I repeated the question.
He grabbed my middle finger (#2). I said,
"Juice?"
He pulled on my middle finger.
"Popsicle, yes?"
You could see his eyes twinkle a bit. Okay Popsicle it was. Andy went to find the nurse to let her know he was ready for it. Harry then, pointing with his finger said to Andy clear as a bell,
"I want blue. They said they had blue, and that's what I'd like."
Well. That was the best thing I have heard in a long time. My Harry was here! For once, being in the lowest percentile, which we usually are, was a good thing!! He is such an amazing little guy. Took all the tape off where the iv was attached himself. He also looked at us in shock,
"Mama! Mama! Look!!" (as he was pointing to his nose)
He could breath through his nose. I said,
"Have you ever been able to do that?"
"Nope!!" With an enormous smile on his face.
I had mixed emotion over that, parent guilt feeling...not knowing he has been struggling with this for all his life, then joy, the problem is fixed!
We got home, he was pretty much off his meds, time caught up with us because he was wanting to run around. I didn't plan on letting him get so close without pain meds, I asked him what his pain level was 1-10. He said a 0. I said What?!? Yep, a 0. I said to him, you did get your tonsils out today right?!
To top all of that off, he slept sounder last night then he ever has. So quiet and peaceful. This morning he popped up like a daisy just before 8. That has never ever happened. You always have to pull him out of bed, he is always so exhausted still in the morning.. Come to find out, he has never had a truly good nights rest.
So here we are. Trying to take this time to reset our clocks. Bed at a reasonable time, get some much needed things done around our house, and try and get back into some sort of a schedule.
The biggest challenge will be keeping Harry put. He has to keep from running for 14 days. Seeing that on the first day, only a few hours into it, Harry already was trying to run. :)
Feeling very thankful at this moment.
1 comment:
I was just going to email you to see how he was post-op!! I always hate when Colin comes out of his anesthetic for his SVT procedures! So glad that Harry is breathing normal and sleeping better! You'll notice a huge difference! Chelsea grew finally because her body wasn't fighting all the "uckies" anymore according to her doctor! So watch out for a growth spurt from your already big guy! Lots of love from GR!! XOXO
Post a Comment