Monday, April 14, 2008

Meet our extended squirrel family...

We have been feeding a lot of wildlife with the new addition of this bird feeder. We know squirrels are not the best with a bird feeder, but the kids love to see them. We have new birds everyday, and all sorts of squirrels to see up close. We did have unwanted visitor, a cat. A few mornings ago, the cat was sitting very still under the bush under the bird feeder. I assume he was waiting for his breakfast. I yelled at him, and haven't seen him back, so far. I don't want the kids to see that much of wildlife yet, especially while we are sitting down to eat our meal. :)
The pictures are not the greatest, I had to take through the window (with our little hand smudges all over), I couldn't open the door, they would run. I was surprised to see this. These squirrels fight over who gets to be on the feeder. I couldn't believe that there was one on each side. I actually saw this morning, two on the feeder and two on the ground. The squirrel on the left, his name is "shaky tail". Harry named him. He is the chubbiest of the squirrels, and is usually shaking his tail...hence the name :)

Introducing "big ears". This little black squirrel is one of the recent additions to our wildlife feedings. We have seen him down in the creek, but this was the first time he came so close to the house. They are very skid-dish, but since he found the food, he has been around a lot more.
This squirrel is one of my favorites. We don't see him that often, and the picture doesn't do him much justice. He is a beautiful red squirrel. I guess his name is "Mama's favorite".

No comments: