Monday, June 21, 2010

What is it?

This was a couple weeks ago now.
While Papa & Daddy were working on the play set (pictures yet to come), Mema and I had Harry & Nina in the front yard, keeping them busy. I saw then, something way up by the tree. Neither of us could figure out what it was. We could see that it was very small...maybe a worm, a bug of some sort? It would seem to come down, then squirm back up...
It was too high up to tell exactly what it was...we went on with the day.
Later on that night, many hours later, Mema was leaving. I saw something strange in the circle area of our driveway, just above the reach of your hand straight up.
What is that???
There was our thing. More unidentifiable now, and it was right in our face.
It looked like a very very tiny horse with a silk coming out of its mouth (surely, Nina's ultimate wish...a bug that looks like a horse.).

After Mema left, I was still curious. No one had seen anything like this. We looked on the Internet, in our bug books, nothing.

Andy and I got it to the ground and watched to see what it did. Did it crawl, slither, walk?

None of the above.

It inched. Was it an inchworm? Must be. What do you think? We still don't have an answer. We are going to take the pictures and the video (yes, video. you should have seen how this thing moved, truly looked like a horse, rearing up.) to the nature center. They must know.

If anyone knows what this thing is....we'd love to know!

(I had to put some cardboard behind it to photograph it. It kept 'disappearing' in the landscape.

It would move back and forth. The head looking part of top going up and down, and the back portion that is pointing down would do the same as the silk came out...it would move up and down.

Here it is on the ground. About to inch.



So those things that looked like feet or legs, were its back. Hugh.


Nina was a bit confused by me. All bugs are spectacular to her. This one didn't look that much different to all the ones she has handled before...in her mind.





(Nina's toes in the background)


Hmmmm. A mystery.

3 comments:

Andy said...

Those are the most beautiful pictures of a disgusting creature that I have ever seen.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight! Yikes!