Sunday, May 09, 2010

Happy Mothers Day!

To all you mothers out there, maybe you'll appreciate the, pit in my tummy feeling, I had this morning.
As we were sitting down in the living room, daddy brought me some coffee, kids were getting my gifts they had spent so much time picking out, I looked over at the ants in the ant farm. None of them were moving. I told Andy. My first thought was, it was cold last night, they are probably sleeping. Andy moved it, they fell. Oh no! Kids still scurrying getting their prized gifts together. Andy looks at me. "We had a fire in fireplace yesterday". Ohhhh No! (they are on the mantle just above the fireplace).
The look of panic on both of our faces and silence was deafening.
Kids ran in.
I opened gifts feeling like a shoe.
Then, I saw one move. Praise the Lord!! :) They were cold!
So. We took this opportunity to revisit the topic that the ants don't live forever and that when they do die that we'd put them outside, clean out the container, and get new ones.
Their reaction.
"Okay. That's fine."
Feeww.

Never thought I'd get so excited and nervous about some ants. But, the thought, that I could have cooked those little dudes....for mothers day. Thankfully that was not the case.

Happy Mothers Day. To all those other proud wonderful Mamas. That would too, find an interest in an ant house, when before kids you, the thought of ants made you crazy (in college, one of the places I lived was garden level apartment. One morning I woke up and walked down the hallway and saw this black area at the bottom of the wall. It was about 8 inches tall and 4 inches wide. What in the world?! Looked closer. It's moving. ANTS!! They were everywhere. So. I have not been very comfortable with those little things, but now, 'anty' is in, and it's worth it all).

So happy and proud to be a Mama.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad the ants are A-OK!! Hope you had a great Mother's Day!!