Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The First Cake

This year we did something different. With the past few months being full of recovery, I felt that for Harry's birthday we would have it at the YMCA. This way, no massive cleaning, cooking and preparing of the house was needed.
We always have the kids parties at the house. When Harry first found out that it was going to be somewhere else, he was upset. That made me very happy, that he enjoys having it here, but I knew that he would end up having a blast either way.
With the scaling down of this go around, we decided to invite only some kids from his class.
He then told us that he had told his whole class that they would be invited. Sigh, Harry.
Well. With Harry having a bumpy start to the year, being sick for so long and not getting his bearings until now, we thought, okay, just this year that would be fine. He is friends with both the girls and the boys.
By the time the invites got handed out in class, there was less than 2 weeks until the party. We figured that not many would be able to make it with such late notice. Not the case. He has 20 kids in his class and by Thursday before, 18 were a yes. So much for making it less stressful.
A few kids ended up being sick for the day-of, with the same thing (oh how I am looking forward to seeing that in Harry).
There ended up being a good group of kids. It felt odd to have someone else in control, but it was nice to be able to step back, take some pictures (which normally I never get to do), and play with the kids.

The only pictures in this post are of the cake, and cupcakes. I'll post the rest soon, like I just said I got to take some pictures, so there are a few to go through.

The cake and cupcakes were a team effort. We both figured the idea out, I thought up how to make it happen and Andy did the actual work of the cake....and what a Fantastic job it was!!


A Tie-Fighter Cake, it was. :)

Cupcakes equip with Light sabers. (Chocolate covered pretzels, yummy and useful)

*as Andy just let me know, this is an up-side-down view of it, just so we are accurate here. :)
Chocolate wings. The kids got to eat them, they enjoyed that the ship was being "Destroyed!!"
(accompanied with sound effects)
If you could have just seen each boys eyes when they saw the cake. Priceless. Andy, being some one with Star Wars knowledge, was concerned with the realistic state of the cake. I told him all he needed to do was make it look somewhat close and the kids would love it. He did better than that, and it paid off.



Eating the top of the ship, he was.

1 comment:

Lou said...

Oh my goodness, you guys are a creative bunch. Cool cake and I really like those pretzels!